Setting up live chat on Shopify is an essential step when first creating an online business. Never mind that you're in the process of building a store, live chat will be used as a customer service tool to communicate with customers, provide answers to questions they may have and deliver content at any time of the day or night. This depends entirely on how you plan your shop's functionality.
A live chat is a great way to start your online store. It gives your customers a way to reach you directly and it's an opportunity to answer questions and resolve issues before they push the «send» button. This guide will show you how easy it is to set up live chat on Shopify.
Do you want to set up live chat on Shopify? Live chat is one of the best ways to get feedback from your customers. It's like having a customer service rep on call 24/7. When your customers have questions and need assistance, they can just hit a button and get through immediately.
Step 1: Create your account
Creating your account for Live Chat on Shopify is fast, simple, and free. It also gives you the option to start with a free trial.
To start a LIVE Chat with your Shopify store, you'll need to create an account. This step is very simple and will only take a few minutes.
- Create your account
- Select a live chat channel
- Set up your account
- Let people know you're open for business
- Start a live chat from the Shopify App
- Answer questions and take payments
Once you have created an account, you will be able to access your Dashboard from which you can manage all aspects of your store, including online payments, shipping labels and more.
If you already have an account with Shopify, head over to the Shopify App Store and download the Live Chat app. You can also sign up for a free trial of Live Chat from within the app if you need to test it out before making a purchase.
Once the app is installed on your phone, enter your information into the settings screen.
Once entered into your settings page, click on “Live Chat” and then choose “Create Account”
Step 2: Add a Facebook Messenger chat to Shopify
The second step is to add a Facebook Messenger chat. This is where you will be able to interact with your customers, as well as other members of your team.
You can connect your Shopify store to Facebook Messenger using these steps:
- Log into your Shopify admin and go to the Shopify app settings page
- Click on the Chat App Settings button. You will see an option to add or remove an existing chat application. Select Add New App and fill out the following fields:
Company Name — This is where you enter the name of your company, as well as its domain or URL (if it has one).
Website — Enter the website address where people can find out more about you and your business (for example, www.yoursite.com) if applicable.
Contact Email — Enter your email address here so that customers can contact you directly with questions or feedback about their online shopping experience.
Messaging Address — Enter an email address at which people can send messages (for example, email@example.com). This is also where they'll receive notifications about new orders and other
From here, you'll be able to select which of your stores you want to add it to. We're going to select our shop's main page because we want everyone who visits our site to have access. Click "Continue" once you've selected which store you'd like to add it too.
- Now that we've added it, let's assign it some permissions! Go back over to Shopify's dashboard and click on "Sales." Once there, click on Permissions at the top of the page. From here, click on "Manage Permissions." This will give us access to every part of our store!
Step 3: Get started building your bot
In this step, we'll create a bot that can send messages to your Shopify store.
Before you start, make sure you have set up an app in the Shopify admin panel. You can do so by following the steps in Creating a Store App. If you don't have an app yet, follow the steps in Creating a Store App.
Next, go to your store's administration page and select Apps. In the left-side navigation bar, click Add New App. In the Add New App popup window, enter a name for your bot (e.g., "My Chatbot"). Then click Save & Continue at the bottom of the window.
Now that you have your bot set up, you can start building your messenger chat to Shopify.
To get started, navigate to https://www.shopify.com/apps/shopbot/. Click on Get Started and then follow the instructions to create a free account.
You will need your Shopify credentials to log in when prompted.
After creating an account, you will be taken to the Shopify Console:
Your bot account is connected to your Shopify account so you’re ready to start chatting!
Step 4: Configure your bot's settings
To configure your bot's settings, follow these steps:
- Click Settings in the left-hand navigation menu.
- Click Bots on the left-hand navigation menu.
- Select the bot you want to configure from the list of Available Bots and then click Configure Bot Settings on the bottom right of the screen.
- Select which language you'd like to use for your chatbot and then enter your chatbot's name and a description for it (optional). You can also change its icon by clicking on the icon next to it and selecting an image from your computer or from your device's photo library, or by uploading an image using the Upload Image button at the bottom of this page.
You should also be able to access the bot's settings page where you can customize your bot's settings.
Here are some things that you should look at:
- The language and chat type — This can be set to English or Spanish, depending on the language your store is in.
- The user ID — This is a unique identifier for each customer that you want to interact with. You can use this in order to identify which customer is talking to your bot and what they're saying.
- The language of messages — You can choose from two options: English (default), Spanish/English. If you want to speak in another language, check out our list of supported languages
Step 5: Add bot flows for new visitors and returning customers
Now that we have a bot set up and ready to go, we need to connect it with the Shopify platform. This will allow our bot to send messages to customers and new visitors when they visit our website.
Before we can do this, we need to enable two things:
1) Messages for New Visitors & Returning Customers: In order to enable these flows, you will need to enable them in your store's Settings > Bot > Messages tab. If you don't already have it enabled, please follow the steps above under Step 3.
2) Message Templates: You will also need to create a new template in your store's Settings > Bot > Template section. This template will house all of your message templates and will be used by both returning customers and new visitors via email or SMS.
A bot flow is a sequence of actions that you can trigger by performing certain actions on your website. For example, if you add a specific product to your cart, and then click the “Add to cart” button, you can then trigger a flow that sends a notification to your customer that their order has been added to the cart.
To create these flows, first go to Settings > Chat Bot > Bot Flows in Shopify and select Create New Flow. When prompted, enter the name of the flow (you can use any name that helps identify it) and select whether or not this flow will be available for both new visitors and returning customers.
These are the two most common types of people who will visit your store, so it's important to make sure they're both handled properly.
A bot flow is triggered when someone lands on your site for the first time, either through a search result or direct link. This is the perfect place to show them a welcome message and let them know how they'll be able to get started with their purchase right away. You can also use this chat bot flow as a way to introduce yourself and your brand — after all, if they're browsing around, they probably want more information about what they're looking at.
When someone signs up for an email list or clicks through from another site (such as Google), that person is a returning customer who has already visited your store once before — perhaps even several times. This means you should include a bot flow that lets them know about upcoming sales and discounts, or provides helpful tips for navigating their way around the site.
Step 6: Test your bot
This is the easiest step of the process. You can test your bot by adding a chatbot to your website. The best way to do this is to use an API (application programming interface) that allows you to run an instance of your bot on Shopify's servers.
At this stage, you won't be able to connect with customers directly because they're not using your app yet. They'll only see a message from Shopify telling them that their order has been placed and asking them to click a link in order for it to be processed.
You can also create a test account and send it messages to see how your bot responds. You can do this in two ways:
1) Click on the "New Message" button under the chatbot's name in the bottom-left corner of your Shopify admin. This will open a popup where you can enter text and send it as a message.
2) Click on the chatbot's name in the bottom-left corner of any page that has a chat window. This will open a popup where you can enter text and send it as a message.
Step 7: Set up Facebook ads to grow your audience
Facebook ads are a great way to get more people on your page and drive traffic to it. You can create an audience of people who have liked a product or brand they would like to see in the Shopify app, and then you can use Facebook’s targeting tools to target that audience directly with Facebook ads.
Facebook has made it easy for anyone to create a landing page that looks like the Shopify app itself, so you can use it as a way to convert those visitors into customers.
If you're not using Facebook ads yet, it's time to start! You can use FB ads to reach more customers with higher quality leads.
Step 8: Track conversion rates with Google Analytics
You can use Google Analytics to track how many visitors are converting into customers.
To do this, you need to get your website tracked in Google Analytics. Once it's set up, you'll be able to see how many visitors came from each of your ads and which ones were the most successful.
To set up tracking for Shopify, go to Google Analytics, then click on "Website" and then "Website data." Click on "Website data" again, then click "Add Website."
Once the site is added, click on the drop-down menu next to "Website owner" and select Shopify.
You can track the following:
- The number of visitors to your website
- How they got there (email, social media, direct traffic)
- How they engaged with you (visited a product page or search results)
The path they took from the first interaction to converting (a dropdown menu called “conversions” will give you insight into what steps people took to convert).
Step 9: Build a stronger brand with the ManyChat branding toolkit
You can create a chatbot by using the ManyChat branding toolkit. It’s easy to use and has an interface that looks like Facebook Messenger. After you’re done building your bot, you’ll be able to invite customers to interact with it via SMS or voice calls.
When you’re ready to take your Shopify store live, you can configure the app with the ManyChat branding toolkit. This will enable you to deploy a beautiful, custom brand in your Shopify store that matches the look and feel of your site.
The ManyChat branding toolkit is a collection of templates, ready-to-use designs, and design elements that will help you build your brand and make it stand out from the crowd.
- Templates for logos, website headers, and more
- Logo kits for various sizes of logos and social media covers
- Brand assets for social media posts and emails
Step 10: Take Messenger marketing to the next level
Messenger marketing is a great way to connect with your customers. It's easy, it's quick, and it's fun. The only thing you need to do is make sure your store has a chatbot enabled in your admin settings.
Once that's done, you can start chatting with your customers. Here are some tips for getting started:
- Ask questions about their experience with your product or service.
- Share an article about their experience with your product or service.
- Offer suggestions for improvements based on their feedback.
The best part? Messenger marketing can be done on an ad-hoc basis, or you can integrate it into your existing marketing campaigns using Shopify's advanced messaging tools.
Messenger marketing is one of the most effective ways to reach customers on social media. When you launch a Messenger customer care campaign, you can leverage all the features of Messenger to engage with your customers.
For example, when someone messages you, they can see that you’re available to talk right away. They don’t have to wait for an automated response or be redirected to another page. And when you send a message back, it will appear in their inbox so they know you responded.
Shopify has gone a long way since its humble beginnings. Today, it is one of the leading providers of e-commerce solutions on the market and it shows no signs of leaving anytime soon. The live chat tool that Shopify offers to its customers is also a part of their growth and success. However, while remarkable in its many features, you must realize how important it is before you implement it into your website.